To obtain a machine readable passport a 17-digit code contained in either Bangladesh National ID card or Birth Registration Certificate will be needed. Those who are NOT in possession with such a Birth Registration Certificate may obtain it by applying to their respective City Corporation/ Municipality/ Union Parishad with a copy of their valid Bangladesh passport.
Steps to obtain Machine Readable Passports (MRP) – for the first time would be as follows.
and fill-in the MRP application form preferably online.
The following are the basic documents needed along with the application:
– National ID card or original birth registration certificate with 17 digits registration code
– Existing Bangladeshi Passport along with the copies of pages 1 through 7
– Two copies of passport-size photo [size: 55X45mm] on the application form. If the applicant is a child under the age of 15, parents’ photos [30X25mm] are required to be appended on the application form. In certain cases, either of the parent’s photos will be accepted [Like if parents are divorced/ either parent is not alive etc.].
Step-2: Make an appointment
The applicant needs to make a prior appointment with the Consular Section of the Embassy by email (email@example.com) to obtain a date and time to visit to the Embassy. Prior appointment is a necessary.
Step-3: Visit for biometry and submit the MRP application form:
The applicant needs to come to the Embassy in person on the date and time confirmed with the Embassy. Applicant’s physical presence is required to take applicant’s picture, finger prints and signature electronically.
Step-4: Payment of fees:
Applicable fees (non-refundable) are to be paid electronically at the counter. The fee for new passport is €100 (Regular). [There is no provision of urgent delivery, as the passports are processed and printed in Dhaka, and sent to the Embassy for delivery].
Step-5: Biometry at the MRP enrollment booth:
Applicant’s fingerprints, signature on electronic pad and a photograph will be taken at the enrollment booth at the Consular Section of the Embassy. Then the existing Bangladesh Passport of the applicant will be returned along with a delivery slip.
Step-6: Preparation of the passport by Department of Immigration and Passport in Dhaka:
The data collected at the enrollment booth (fingerprints, signature, photograph, scanned documents) are transmitted in real time to the Department of Immigration & Passport in Dhaka. After due verification (Police/finger print etc.) by the concerned authorities, Machine Readable Passport will be printed and sent to the Embassy for delivery to the applicant.
Note: It takes an average of two months before the passport reaches the embassy for delivery. In a few instances, additional time may be required before the Embassy gets the passports from Dhaka.
Step-7: Delivery of passport:
After the enrollment, the applicant will be given a tentative date of delivery of Machine Readable Passport. The Consular Section of the Embassy will contact the applicant once the passport arrives. Upon confirmation from the Embassy, the applicant needs to come to the Embassy in person along with his/her previous Bangladeshi Passport and the delivery slip. The new MRP will be handed over along with a cancelled seal on the old passport. The applicant may authorize somebody to collect his/her passport. In that case the authorized person has to produce the authorization letter and his/her own ID card to establish his identity.
For Renewal/information change/lost passport/Correction of information:
Applicant should apply manually by filling up the Reissue/correction form and submitting the same to the Embassy. A prior appointment is necessary for submitting the form. Appointment could be requested by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- National ID card or original birth registration certificate with 17 digits registration code.
- Existing Bangladeshi Passport.
- Photocopy of existing Bangladeshi Passport (Page 1 – 7).
- Two copies of passport-size photo [size: 55X45 mm].
- If the applicant is a child under the age of 15, both parents’ photos [size: 30X25 mm].
- In certain cases, either of the parent’s photos will be accepted [Like if parents are divorced/ either parent is not alive etc.].
- Applicable fees (Regular): €100
- Applicable fees (Urgent): There has been no provision of urgent delivery.
- Average Delivery Time: 2 months
- In few occasions it might take more than 2 months before the passport is ready for delivery.